Cañon City renters! It is important to be mindful of the small home maintenance tasks needed to keep your rental home in good condition. By taking care of these tasks consistently, you’ll help avoid costly repairs down the road and guarantee that you have a quiet relationship with your landlord. This blog post will discuss ten small maintenance tasks every renter should do!
- Change Ceiling Fan Direction. To produce a cold breeze in the summer, your ceiling fan should rotate in the opposite direction. To force warm air from the ceiling down during the winter, it should rotate counterclockwise. You may improve the efficiency of your HVAC system and lower your utility costs by switching the direction of your ceiling fan twice a year.
- Clean Exhaust Fans. Your bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans play an important role in venting moisture and odors out of your home. To keep them working properly, be sure to clean them every month. You can easily do this by taking off the cover and using a vacuum attachment to remove any accumulated dust or debris.
- Caulk Around Bathroom Fixtures. Look at the caulking around your bathroom fixtures. It needs to be changed if it is cracked, peeling, or missing in spots. Cracked or missing caulk can cause mold to grow. But prevention is a quick and easy task that you can do yourself. Simply add new caulk around the base of each fixture with some caulk and a putty knife.
- Clear Drains. Clogged drains are not only a nuisance, but they can also lead to water damage. To avoid this from taking place, make sure to clear your drains every month. You can do this by removing hair clogs, pouring a cup of baking soda down the drain, and then a cup of vinegar. Let it sit for an hour and then wash it off with hot water.
- Drain Water Heater. As the water heats up, it expands and can cause sediment to accumulate in your water heater. This can lead to corrosion and decreased efficiency. To prevent this from happening, be sure to drain your water heater every year. You can do this by attaching a garden hose to the drainage valve and draining it into a bucket or floor drain. Standard water heater maintenance can help ensure you have plenty of hot water all year round.
- Clean Off Outdoor Air Conditioning Unit. Your outdoor air conditioning unit must be clear of debris to work properly. Don’t forget to clean off your unit every month, removing any leaves, dirt, or other collected debris.
- Change HVAC Filters. Your HVAC system’s filters play an important role in keeping your air clean and your home comfortable. To keep them working properly, be sure to change them every three months. You can effortlessly do this by purchasing replacement filters at your local hardware store.
- Clean Blinds and Windows. Dust and dirt can build up on your blinds and windows, making them look dirty and affecting their ability to function To keep them looking their best, be sure to clean them every month. You can do this by dusting with a microfiber cloth or using a vacuum attachment to remove any accumulated dirt or debris.
- Check for Pests. Pests can not only be trouble, but they can also cause damage to your home. To prevent this from occurring, be sure to check for pests every month and take action if you see any. You can do this by visually inspecting your home and looking for any signs of pests such as droppings or nests. If you see any, be sure to contact your Cañon City property manager. They can then coordinate with professional pest control if necessary.
- Basic Appliance Maintenance. Basic appliance maintenance is important to keep your appliances working properly. To do this, clean your oven and refrigerator every month. You can also vacuum the coils on your fridge and dust the interior of your oven to prevent build-up. Additionally, be sure to run a self-cleaning cycle on your oven once every three months.
Other than basic maintenance, some items in your rental home may require professional assistance. For example, if you come across electrical issues, water leaks, or other concerns, report these to your landlord so that they can send an experienced service tech to take care of them.
Standard maintenance can help prevent costly repairs down the road and keep your landlord happy. For all these reasons, be sure to add these tasks to your monthly checklist and cross them off as you go!
Are you looking for a new rental home? Real Property Management Steel City could have what you’re looking for! Browse our listings online to see our inventory.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.